3. The Assumption. On the crescent moon, upheld by an angel, stands the Virgin Mary clothed in light.
4. Christ and the Doctors in the Temple. Tired after a long search Joseph and Mary find the twelve year old Jesus, shown in purple, in the midst of the learned teachers who express astonishment at His understanding.
From left to right: 1. The Entry into Jerusalem. The crowd cut branches off trees and spread them on the road to make a triumphal way for Christ. They cry 'Hosanna, blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord'.
2. In the Garden of Gethsemane Christ prays 'Let this cup (of suffering) pass from me, nevertheless not my will but Thine'. The disciples fail to keep watch with Christ and fall asleep.
3. Pilate washes his hands to symbolise that he is guiltless of Christ's blood, placing the blood-guilt on the Jews.
4. The scourging of Christ, a preliminary to crucifixion.
5. The way to Calgary, the Via Dolorosa. In the background the two thieves are led away and above, their two crosses have been erected; a hole is being dug for the third cross.
Above the transom of window 5 is featured (see below): 1. Pilate on horseback beneath weeping angels (the foot soldier has the name John Savile on his gold collar). 2. Mary and St John below the penitent thief who has an angel waiting above him. 3. Christ crucified. 4. The Centurion below the impenitent thief who has a devil waiting above him. 5. Two horsemen.
© 2013 Fairford History Society